Monday, May 2, 2011

Just stop for a second and smile

We had fast and testimony meeting yesterday and it was just wonderful. I was too scared to go up, even though I sit on the front row every time, I'm a wuss. Anyway, I loved it because this month(s) have been hard and it's not that any one really bad thing has happened it's just alot of little things going wrong right after another, in this seemingly endless stream of just really bad luck or something. I told Braden that I think I know why people turn their backs on the church or on God- and it's not necessarily that they are mad or angry. I just think that your spirit can become broken. Like you become apathetic, you are past anger. You are past discouragement or bitterness. You just don't care. Like learned helplessness. I don't think I have sinned greatly, I mean I make mistakes every day and I have to ask for forgiveness everyday. I know that there is always more to do but I felt so blah, I would go through the motions but my heart wasn't in it. I don't think I had the faith that reading my scriptures, praying would actually help me or do any good. It felt like I was in a wave pool, as soon as I reached the surface and felt like I'm free and I can breath, another wave comes crashing down on you. And soon you just don't have the strength and you begin to drown. I felt like I was spiritually drowning. It didn't matter what we did, and watching Braden just work so hard and try and try day after day, it was watching him that really got me too. But I felt horrible saying that I think I understand why people just give up. That's what I felt like doing because it almost felt like the harder we tried the worse things became. I felt punished or something. Since Saturday I've been blessed and comforted and I know now that it will be okay. The Lord isn't punishing us. He loves us. I just needed to be more humble. The moment I asked the Lord What more can I do? Is there more? Can you help us please?? Not giving up but giving "in". Giving in to Him and allowing Him to help me. . . He was there. On Sunday everyone that got up talked about trials! And so many more people got up then I've ever seen in this ward. The majority of them talked about trials and getting through them. One girl told us her husband has cancer, others lost family members or their home and they were so wise and strong in their testimonies! And other things have just been working out a little better- I've won 3 gift cards this week already- tender mercy? I think so!  The Lord knows who we each want to become, and only He knows how to make that happen. I already feel through our challenges our marriage has become much stronger, our testimonies have grown, and we are focused on more eternal things. So, it's all good. "This too shall pass."

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this and for the reminders!! Just remember that life starts to get REAL GOOD after it gets REAL BAD. Good is headed your way!!! love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these thoughts Savannah. What a boost it was for me and such a good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. You put so well what I have felt too at times. I always try and remember that eventually things will get better but when you are in the middle of it; its easy to lose sight of that. I'm glad this week is going better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Savannah!!! Thank you so much for writing this post.. tender mercy for me! There is no doubt we all feel this way sometimes. I seriously have been there and even am there off and on now as we struggle through what the heck the future has in store for Taj's career and our growing family. I love your guts! I have been trying really really hard to look for good little things that happen in the day even when the bad seems to outweigh that good. It helps a ton! He does know us.. that is for sure! Thanks again for the post. It made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Savannah, Fast and Testimony was amazing, wasn't it? I thought the same thing. I was also too scared/lazy or whatever to get up there. I don't like that about myself - that it's difficult for me to share my deepest, most meaningful thoughts and feelings to a crowd. ha! I totally get you on the feeling of drowning even when you aren't doing anything majorly wrong. I guess that's earth-life for ya! We all have our faith tried and tested at different times. You're right that it will pass (although sometimes it's difficult to believe that until it does pass!) :) Just keep doggy paddling until you find a raft. You'll find one! And you'll be able to breathe normal again! I'm glad you are keeping your awesome perspective even during a hold-your-head-above-water phase. Sometimes it takes people getting to the other side to regain that perspective. I think you're amazing! I'm sure you and Braden will be ultra blessed before long because of how much you are helping people all of the time. If there's anything I can do for you let me know - even if it's just to chat. I know, I know, I'm SO generous to offer something that also benefits me! (I'm unselfish like that) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh , Savannah. I just love you! I just want to cry! This was such a sweet post! I don't know what's going on but I know from personal experiences how you felt. Sometimes life is just SO HARD and you don't know how you can get through it. Thank goodness for our loving Heavenly Father! You're so right, he is just waiting to bless us, we just have to be willing to let him. Thanks again for your sweet spirit, it has uplifted me today! Hope things will continue to go better for you guys! Love your guts!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!